Tabber - Submitting Google Base Feed

Tabbed Product and Fragment Descriptions.
limey

Tabber - Submitting Google Base Feed

Post by limey »

Hi,

I am using Mole End Mash to submit product feeds from my V9 Actinic site fantronix.com to Google Base and have some up with an issue that I can't seem to resolve.

Basically, i can seem to remove the {tab header} from my product description, for example:

{Features}The X-Star bathroom extractor fan will suit any modern ... The X-star bathroom extractor fan will either blend in to white ceiling or wall so ....

Anyone got any ideas on how i can remove the {features} tab?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Kind regards,

Limey
norman
Site Admin

Re: Tabber - Submitting Google Base Feed

Post by norman »

I don't know or use that Mole-End add-on so cannot help.

Have you tried asking them? Seems to be the best place to ask. Basically you want to strip anything within { and } from your product description.
Norman
alanj

Post by alanj »

Have you any suggestion for removing the tab headers e.g. {Description} from the inbuilt Actinic feed for Google Base?
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

Hi, Alan

The Actinic 'Google Product Search Data Feed' export is done by ActinicCatalog.exe and there seems to be nothing in the Layouts that controls this so it's not possible to change the behaviour.

However, the export produces a simple tab separated text file. There's nothing to stop you editing it (using Notepad for example) and removing all "{" and "}". Bit of a pain if though you're doing this daily.

Something more sophisticated like stripping out "{" followed by up to 20 characters then "}" would need a regular expression capable editor or a bit of custom code.
Norman
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

Attached are two quick and dirty utility programs that will help remove Tabber {TAB HEADING} type content from your Actinic generated Google feed.

A) StripTabberHeadings removes all {HEADING CAPTION} found and replaces it with a space.

B) StripCurlyBraces replaces all { and } with spaces. Thus leaving the Tabber caption but without the braces.

Installation:

1) Unzip into your Actinic Site folder.

2) In your Site folder, right click each .exe file and copy to the desktop as a shortcut.

Usage:

Export the Actinic Google feed to file named "actinicgeneratedgooglefeed.txt" in your Site folder.

Run the approriate strip program by clicking the desktop shortcut and click the "Generate Stripped File" button.

A new file "tabheadingstrippedgooglefeed.txt" or "bracesstrippedgooglefeed.txt" is generated.

Submit this new file to Google.
Attachments
StripTabberFromGoogleFeed.zip
(399.56 KiB) Downloaded 1382 times
Norman
James

Post by James »

Have you any suggestion for removing the tab headers e.g. weight watchers points calculator {Description} from the inbuilt Actinic feed for Google Base?
Last edited by James on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

inbuilt Actinic feed for Google Base
I'm not sure which SellerDeck Layout you are asking about. If you're able to point me to the Layout that generates the feed you are concerned about I can help.
Norman
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

Using a SellerDeck 2018 site.

If it's file "google-products.xml" then that is generated from Design / Library / Layouts / XML Feeds / Google Product Feed Layout.
Look in that layout and around line 14 you'll see:

Code: Select all

<![CDATA[<actinic:variable encoding="Strip and Encode" name="ProductDescription" />]]>
Replace that line with:

Code: Select all

<![CDATA[<actinic:block php="true">echo preg_replace('/&#123;.*?&#125;/', ' ', '<actinic:variable encoding="Strip and Encode" name="ProductDescription" />');</actinic:block>]]>
This will remove all {Whatever} from the product description and replace them with a space. The space prevents the last word of the previous tab from merging with the first word of the current one.
Norman