MenuDepth Variable

Horizontal menu bar with dynamic multi column drop-down display.
yanni

MenuDepth Variable

Post by yanni »

On our website we've got some categories( e.g. LEATHER BRIEFCASES) that have nearly 15-20 individual products.
I want to hover over this particular category on the Mega Menu without giving me a drop down list of all these 15-20 individual products.

I undestand you do this by changing the value of the MenuDepth Parameter.
The value of this parameter can be changed to either 2 or 3 which doesn't really allow me to do what I want.
I went into the variable and added the option 0 and 1 but this doesn't either change anything.

Is there a way of achieving this ?

Thanks.
norman
Site Admin

Re: MenuDepth Variable

Post by norman »

Mega is resolutely a 2 or 3 level menu. You can't change this to more levels.

What you can do is limit the number of items displayed at the 3rd level. See the ReadMe for MenuMaxThirdLevel:
Set to non-zero to limit the maximum number of 3rd level Sections shown.
If you use this capability then an extra link to the full section page
will be generated. Prefixed by MenuMaxThirdLevelPrefix.
So if you set this to say 5, then your LEATHER BRIEFCASES list would only contain the first 5 items and an extra link at the end "See more LEATHER BRIEFCASES" will also be shown to take you to the LEATHER BRIEFCASES section list.

This facility in conjunction with re-ordering your 3rd level Sections to put the most popular / profitable first can give you a concise and useful menu.

Other MenuMaxThirdLevel... variables let you change the look of these entries.
Norman
yanni

Re: MenuDepth Variable

Post by yanni »

Fair enough, thanks Norman.

I still think it would have been much neater to have the option to display no products whatsoever at the third level and see any existing subcategories only.
When you try to design a high fashion website you need to eliminate the option of displaying a few products at a time otherwise the site will look like a marketstall, somethinng we try hard to avoid.

Thanks
Yanni