Donation on the way…. But I’m stuck on something

Another automatic cascading menu for Actinic 5 onwards. This one allows more modern DHTML effects.
bpj553

Donation on the way…. But I’m stuck on something

Post by bpj553 »

Hello Norman. Thanks for a great script! I’m integrating it with my actinic store and it functions beautifully. However, I need to stop the very last level flyout for each section. How can I do this?

I need to do this because of how I display my products. One product per page. The only way I have found to do this is to have each product in its own sub-section. These subsections are displayed together on one page for the customer to browse. Then when a customer clicks on this image, it takes them from the subsection to the actual product, which is then displayed on its own page with all the detail. Then I am planning to use the Upsell script to recommend related products neatly underneath.

My problem is that because each product has its own subsection these are also represented in the flyouts of the menu. Dozens and dozens in one big list, sometimes. If I could somehow hide the last level I could use the script.

Please tell me it can be done… :)
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

I'm not at a development system at the moment but I'm pretty sure that this can be done with little a bit of code added to norcascade_pop_data.js

It's also possible to limit how far NorCascade expands the menu but this wouldn't be useful if you have varying depth of sections to the final products.
Norman
bpj553

Post by bpj553 »

Thanks for the reply. I do have varying depths for each section, though each section would need to finish one level back each time. I would be happy to donate again for the extra code. I'll hold off going any further with my site design until I get a 'yes' or 'no' from you.
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

It will definitely be patchable. It may not get done until tomorrow as I'm "out of office" just now.

Here's an interim kludge.

Edit norcascade_pop_tail.js (in Site1). Look for the line

Code: Select all

addItem(names[I].sName, link, '', null, LineHeight, Spacing);
change it to

Code: Select all

//      addItem(names[I].sName, link, '', null, LineHeight, Spacing);
Norman
bpj553

Post by bpj553 »

I implemented the change. Was anything supposed to happen? Nothing did.
Thanks
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

It should omit the final level from the generated menu. It tested OK here. Make sure you're not viewing a cached copy.

Make sure you edited the correct file. It must be the norcascade_pop_tail.js in Site1 and not the copy in the NorCascade installation folder.

Do you have a live site I can see?
Norman
bpj553

Post by bpj553 »

I double checked i edited the right file within the site1 folder. I dont have a live site to show you as it would update my active stote. I'll try an upload something. This is the section of the code after the change -

addItem(names.sName, thisseq, 'sm:', null, LineHeight, Spacing).onclick='window.location.href="' + link + '"';
}
}
else
{
// addItem(names.sName, link, '', null, LineHeight, Spacing);
}
}

if ( haschild && (thislevel <= maxdepth) )
{
for ( I = 1; I <= names.length; I++ )
{
bpj553

Post by bpj553 »

I forgot to add that i'm only previewing the page through the actinic offline page preview method.
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

That workaround worked fine for me on previews. Are you sure that all your final level sections (the product ones) still appear in the generated menu?

Other than that, if I can't see a page there's not much I can do to help fix it.
Norman
bpj553

Post by bpj553 »

Hi Norman,

Up uploaded a trial site on http://trials.actinic.com/trials/trial24883/

If you follow the menu down to the bags&cases/bow cases/soft cases/

The 'soft cases' section needs to be the last fly out. Click on soft cases and you see the layout i want to acheive for the final section which needs to be hidded.

Many thanks

Ben
bpj553

Post by bpj553 »

Sorry, I meant the last section needs to be 'hidden' in the flyout. (Never could spell)
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

Ahah. Got it. You've changed the correct file but that change won't be passed on to Actinic until you run NorCascade and click the Create Vars button. Then either an Actinic Preview or live site Update will work.

Note that this mod will hide nearly all your sections (because none of them have any sub-sections yet). That will come right once you populate the site.
Norman
bpj553

Post by bpj553 »

Awsome! Thankyou very much!