Upsell import

Adding upsell items to a product.
sbutton

Upsell import

Post by sbutton »

Hello,

I could have sworn I posted this question a couple of weeks ago, but I've come back to look for answers... and can't even find the question.

I'm attempting to perform an import, and I'd like it to handle upsell items.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Steve Button.
must fill in this sig some time.
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

Yes, by choosing the appropriate Product Template as part of the Import. Just select the Upsell Main for the main item, and the Upsell Secondary for subsequent ones.
Norman
sbutton

Upsell import

Post by sbutton »

Hi Norman,

Just tried to get this working but with no joy. I'm using a flat import rather than a hierarchical import, which I suspect is the problem. Unfortunately it won't allow me to do a flat file *export* so it's difficult to reverse engineer an import file, if you see what I mean.

I tried putting a "1!" in front of the product code which is what the hierarchical export does, but this didn't fix it (although it did help).

Unfortunately the import doesn't take any more products after the 2 upsell products which I've put in as a test.

Many thanks,

Steve Button
sbutton

RE: Upsell import

Post by sbutton »

Hi,

I take it you are stuck on this one too??

Without this it's going to be pretty hard to make the site work for my client, as she has around 500 products and most of them have 2-3 upsells. That's up to 1500 manual lines which I'm going to have to enter every time they change the spreadsheet to do a re-import....

unless you (or someone) has a better suggestion?

Perhaps I can just use a hierarchical import. But my client is never going to be able to update that herself.

I hope I'm understanding this correctly, but this is not an Actinic thing... but related to your upsell extention. Normal actinic upsells are handled differently, aren't they??

Thanks,

Confused Steve Buton.
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

Here are the instructions for making an Upsell main, followed by some Upsell products.
(1) To make an existing product a Main product that will include Upsell items go to
Product Details / General / Product Layout and select "Upsell main product".

(2) Now create (or copy and Paste as Duplicate) a product immediately below this Main product
that you want to display as an Upsell product.

(3) In this Upsell product go to Product Details / General / Product Layout
and select "Upsell secondary product".

(4) Go to the Extended Information tab and check "Generate Popup Page" and "Clicking Product Image".
At Popup Page / Layout select "Upsell popup product".

Repeat from (2) for as many additional Upsell products as you like.
Now all you have to do is replicate this in your flat-file import.

E.g. (1) Is a normal product but you choose Upsell_Main_ProductLine.html as the Product Template

Now the following product lines should be the Upsell items and you do (3) by selecting Upsell_Secondary_ProductLine.html as the Product Template.
You also do (4) by setting Generate pop-up page
to 1, Display by image to 1, and selecting Upsell_Secondary_ProductLine.html as Extended info layout.
Norman
sbutton

RE: Upsell import

Post by sbutton »

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

That's pretty much what I did, except I didn't put the "Upsell_Main_ProductLine.html" on ALL the product lines... therefore the import failed for the rest becuase it said I only have 14 items instead of 15 items.

I tried putting in just "" and 1 and various things in the .csv file, but it refused to take them.

That's okay though, I can just have blank "related items" until I (we? :-) ) can work out how to fix that. For now I'll just make every item an upsell_main

My main problem now, is that when I try to import it says "duplicate item not allowed". If I put "1!" before the product ref I get :-

Line 223: Incompatible information in field 1 ("Product Ref"). Expected up to 20 characters, but got "1!46".

I think there is an end in sight!!

Steve Button.
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

The problem isn't really with Upsell but importing Duplicates via flat-file. I'm not sure if this is possible so it may be worth asking on the Actinic Forum community.actinic.com
Norman