Positioning the menu

Search engine friendly UL list type menu for Actinic V8 and V9. Styled by CSS and animated by a small JavaScript.
Mocker

Positioning the menu

Post by Mocker »

Hi again!

I have the norlist menu expanding from a single item, and would like to have it move along the browser window as it is scrolled. I tried using CSS positioning (position: fixed), but this causes the menu to shake somewhat wildly whenever I open a subsection. While the menu does work this way, the shaking is simply too disturbing for it to be used. Is there some way to work around this? Possibly scrolling with javascript (I don't really know javascript so I don't know how to, and I couldn't find any usable and readily available script simple enough for me)?

--
Risto Tahvanainen
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

Have you an URL of a site with this problem so I can see?
Norman
Mocker

Post by Mocker »

Currently uploading the test version (with norlist) to:
http://www.proairsoft.com/acatalog/test ... index.html.
The actual menu can be found on the left side of the page, under the last button from top, that says "Kauppa >" (the button that looks like it doesn't fit the layout). The problem doesn't appear with IE (7.0.5730.11), but atleast Firefox (2.0.0.7) and Opera (9.21) will show it.

EDIT: Actually Opera doesn't have any shaking either, but the menu animations are very slow. This isn't as big a problem, though.
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

That really is bizarre under Firefox. Unfortunately I can't think of any way to fix this - other than to stop using that type of fixed positioning.

You could try asking Angus Turnbull (support forum via http://www.twinhelix.com/dhtml/fsmenu/). He wrote the DHTML part of NorList "FreeStyle Menu" - I wrote the Actinic Interface.

I pay him half the of price for each copy sold so he should be happy to help.
Norman
Mocker

Post by Mocker »

Hi, and thanks for your help norman!

I got the problem fixed by turning off the opening and closing animations for the menu, ie:
Edited listmenuactivate.js, and commented out these lines:
listMenu.animations[listMenu.animations.length] = FSMenu.animFade;
listMenu.animations[listMenu.animations.length] = FSMenu.animSwipeDown;

This didn't seem to cause any additional problems, but please tell me if I should do something something else, too!

--
Risto Tahvanainen
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

Hi.

Thanks for reporting back. I wouldn't have thought to try that. It'll be useful for anyone else trying the same thing.
Norman