missing norlist

Search engine friendly UL list type menu for Actinic V8 and V9. Styled by CSS and animated by a small JavaScript.
jenny

missing norlist

Post by jenny »

I am experimenting on a new theme using norlist. I copied the theme in and all works except the menu. I have to change the theme to something completely and then reset it back to the theme I am using. It then appears.
Any ideas as there are a lot of sections.
Jenny
norman
Site Admin

Re: missing norlist

Post by norman »

NorList requires you to make two additions to your Overall Layout. One above the </head> tag and the other where you want the menu to appear.

If you change Themes, you get a completely new Overall Layout so you will need to re-do the two bits from the NorList readme that start "Select a Product in the Content tree".
Norman
jenny

Post by jenny »

Norman
I have all the code in the right places, as when I turn it back to the layout that should work, it appears. I don't leave it on the other theme.
so on theme1 no menu, change to theme 2, change back to theme 2 and the menu appears.
regards
Jenny
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

When you say:
so on theme1 no menu, change to theme 2, change back to theme 2 and the menu appears.
Do you mean:
so on theme1 no menu, change to theme 2, change back to theme 1 and the menu appears.
If so, can you tell me the names of the two Themes you are using and I'll check with them here. Also the version of Actinic.

Also, when you switch to a Theme and the menu doesn't display, can you see the NorList code in the overall layout?
Norman
jenny

Post by jenny »

sorry yes
so on theme1 no menu, change to theme 2, change back to theme 1 and the menu appears.
version
Theme 1 is an adadpted silver theme.
I switch to academic as it is first on the list and then back again.

version 11.0.3 business plus
Jenny
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

When the menu isn't showing, can you see the NorList code in the Overall Layout (2 places)?

When the menu isn't showing, try previewing a page in Firefox and report if it shows there and if the Error Console (control / shift / j) shows any errors.
Norman
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

I cannot replicate this. I've got NorList V3 installed into both Silver and Academic Themes and can switch happily between them (or indeed any other Theme) with the menu showing whenever I switch to a Theme with it installed.

Tested both in the Content and Design tab.
Norman
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

I see on your test site that NorList appears on some pages but not on others. The NorList Dynamic Menu line is just a simple Actinic Layout (like any other sub-layout). It should appear on all pages if it's in your Overall Layout.

If it's not appearing on some pages and such appearance is intermittent then there must be something wrong with the code generation on your site.

Try a full Refresh and see if it then works consistently.

If that doesn't help, as a last resort you could try replacing the line that displays the menu with:

Code: Select all

<actinic:variable name="NorList Dynamic Menu" value="NorList Dynamic Menu Code" />
Norman
jenny

Post by jenny »

<actinic:variable name="NorList Dynamic Menu" value="NorList Dynamic Menu Code" />
The last resort seems to have kicked it into life.
Really odd!
Thanks
Jenny