Multiple Product Images - a few details

Display several small images against a main product. Clicking these images swaps the main product image.
mattc

Multiple Product Images - a few details

Post by mattc »

Hi all,

Im creating a new feature that requires several images to be added to actinic via a GUI (no code editing for staff). I wondered if any of you were using Normans multiple product image addon and could answer a couple of questions about it.

1. How do you add pics? - in the lightbox addon, you get a nice tab with several browse buttons, is it similar with MPI?

2. how many pics can it handle?

3. presumably, every image has its own variable name, e.g. AVproductimage1, AVproductimage2 etc. Can anyone confirm this.

4. Finally, if i use one his addons, what happens when i upgrade to V9? do i simply contact him and buy a newer verison. What if (heaven forbid) he's not around? as this feature will be pretty fundamental to the site design.

If there is an easy way of creating a tab in the product information section that simply allows me to choose files to add to the site for that product, that would be better suited to my needs, as I would not be using any of normans layouts. e.g. i don't actually want multiple products images on the product page.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
norman
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Product Images - a few details

Post by norman »

1) Similar to Lightbox.

2) Six as supplied. However there's a readme redarding increasing this so essentially unlimited.

3) Yes. ExtraImage1 through ExtraImage6.

4) It works on V9 and V9 as supplied.
Norman
mattc

Post by mattc »

Are the thumbnails automatically generated?

If yes, then is it possible for me to modify the php (copy bits :wink: ) to make it generate a third size of picture.
E.g. I use the plugin to add a high res image, the low res thumbnail and another medium res image are automatically generated for me?
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

It's entirely dependent on your programming skills. You would have all the source so it's quite possible.

These are low-cost patches and free help to modify them to do something completely different to their original purpose will not be provided.
Norman
mattc

Post by mattc »

but are the thumbnails automatically generated by default.

please understand, i'm not trying to get free help. i just want an idea about how the addon works. Im asking on the forums so its not just for personal gain either. if you had a premium rate support line, i would phone it!

Matt
mattc

Post by mattc »

-
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

are the thumbnails automatically generated by default
Yes.
Norman