NorCascade - Cascading Menus for Actinic

Another automatic cascading menu for Actinic 5 onwards. This one allows more modern DHTML effects.
brokenbrains

NorCascade - Cascading Menus for Actinic

Post by brokenbrains »

I'm Currently at a cross-roads with NorCascade - Cascading Menus for Actinic, I have taken over an actinic website built by someone else - and the menus has been implemented on the site http://www.roksort.com (Actinic Version 7.0.4.0.0.0 FEVA). My problem is that the software is not on the PC I am working on I'm wondering what if I download it how it would retain the settings already on the site for example - it's appearance - colours, text etc. The reason for me downloading it is to modify it so that it doesn't list the products in actinic's only the sections.

Advice & Support will be kindly appreciated
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

NorCascade on intial installation uploads some files into your Site1 folder. The configuration parameters are also kept there.

Subsequent installations or re-installations of NorCascade don't change these files (if they find them already present), allowing you to keep existing parameters and customisations.
Norman
brokenbrains

Post by brokenbrains »

Thank you for your immediate response!

I dont want to change these installtion files directly its just that I was wondering if there is way of sustaining customisations of the site files in the norCascade software which has been re-installed.

Since the one change required is to do is reduce the number of steps it currently Cascades not modify the look obviously.

Kind Regards
Chris
http://www.roksport.com
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

NorCascade is designed to allow you to customise the code in Site1.

The NorCascade specific files are only copied to Site1 on installation, if not already present.

The Actinic Act_section_tree_names.js and Act_section_tree_URLs.js files are re-created by Actinic whenever you do an Update or Refresh, so editing these is pointless.
Norman
brokenbrains

Post by brokenbrains »

Sorry I'm not clear for what I'm trying to achieve here!

I believe my predecessor has been given advice from possibly yourself to increase the number of cascasing menus. Since our Actinic product database has increased in the last year or so. Therefore, i would like to decrease the cascading menus to speed up the download and user interface.

How can this be achieved?

Kind Regards
Chris
Rokport.com
norman
Site Admin

Post by norman »

The menu can be tweaked to make it more efficient. If you have a PHP enabled server I have another add-on that strips out unnecessary data from the Actinic section tree files, greatly reducing their size.

However, this patch and NorCascade are Donationware and I can't provide much help to people who don't honour this system.

I've no record of your company ever being in touch before regarding your existing NorCascade installation. Can you clarify?
Norman